Friday, September 02, 2005

"Must have excellent presentation skills"

A business associate was explaining to me today that he is looking for new recruits to join his growing firm. He particularly wants people who can make powerful presentations to his network of business introducers (such as accountants, solicitors etc.).

He showed me the advertisement, which included the obligatory phrase:

'Must have excellent presentation skills'.

I seem to remember seeing this phrase on job advertisements in all sectors over many years and was wondering what this actually means in today's business world - particularly now that the Internet is used so much to promote your product/service.

I would have thought that being able to make great presentations is a pre-requisite to survival in business - particularly if you are self-employed. But then I'm biased.

Perhaps the phrase has a broader meaning today and is something that you automatically put on all job advertisements as a means to infer that only 'quality' people need apply.

I now receive so many daily offers from people offering webcast and web presentation tools, that I'm wondering if the good old fashioned business pitch / presentation is now dead in the water.

Phil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home